Sunday, August 14, 2011

Final Destination 5 - Review

Well, I saw Final Destination 5 with my cousin and friend, and I was the only one who was really excited to see it, because I've been waiting to see it for two years. But, I was kind of disappointed.


The movie wasn't "darker" as promised, unless they're just saying that because Tony Todd is back in a few scenes. Those scenes aren't "dark" at all, in my opinion. The movie went by way too fast, also. Like, there wasn't really anything in between the death scenes to even the movie out. It was just accident > aftermath > death> aftermath > character development > death > death > death.. etc.


Now, don't read this paragraph unless you want the movie to be spoiled.  The ending went by way too quick. Yes, it is a prequel to the first. Sam and Molly end up on the doomed Flight 180, rah-rah. But, there's not a lot of evidence that shows that except Sam's plane ticket stub which was shown for a short 5 seconds, maybe.  But, most people wouldn't have caught that, hell, my cousin wouldn't have unless I said something. Though, true fans of the series should recognize the very brief clips of the original cast from the first getting off the plane. :-----)


Anyway, my favorite scene in this movie is the most intense and suspenseful one, Candice's death.  So, Candice is this big shot in the gymnastics scene, so she practices basically daily. Anyway, after a bunch of things leading up to her death, someone steps on nail that falls from the fan, they fall over and knock a bowl of chalk over which blows into a portable fan causing Candice to not be able to see what she's doing, she swings off the bar and ends up in a deadly position, breaking her spine and leg. Most impact-ful death in the series, in my opinion.


The opening accident was really good, I think it was the shortest in the series, which is okay because it's still really good. The deaths were really good, and original. They weren't really focused on the gore-factor as opposed to the creativity and realism of the deaths.


The deaths in the movie were really.. original.. but, I didn't like most of them. There wasn't any suspense or build-up in them like in the first, but, they were still enjoyable. The trailers gave absolutely nothing away, like everyone assumed. They were all different than what was "spoiled," which was a great surprise.

So, all-in-all, the movie was a pretty good film, and I'd definitely check it out while it's still in theaters.

By the way, I got the holographic Final Destination 5 teaser poster for free, and I bought an FD5 T-shirt and lanyard from San Diego Comic Con. I'll post pictures when they merch comes in!


No comments:

Post a Comment