Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Legends Never Die - Urban Legends: Final Cut Review


In this underrated sequel to 1998's "Urban Legend", a group of film students find themselves being stalked by a serial killer basing their murders off of, well, urban legends, as they struggle to complete their thesis films based on, get ready for it, urban legends!


I'm gonna make this review as brief as possible, but I honestly prefer this film more than the first and I will honestly never understand why this movie bombed at the box-office. Maybe it was the awful trailer? Lack of reference to the first film? Who knows, but this film deserves a lot more credit than it deserves. It's definitely not a grade-A slasher, but it's definitely not a grade-B slasher, either.

As far as the plot goes, it does sound and is a bit ridiculous, but that doesn't necessarily make this movie bad, in fact, I think that's what made this movie good. Filming a movie about urban legends while your cast and crew are being murdered based on urban legends? It's definitely something different for the slasher genre.

While the actors were a bit annoying, especially the lead, played by Jennifer Morrison, they really did a great job in most scenes. Jessica Cauffiel especially stuck out most. Her character, Sandra, was horribly bad at acting, and she played that character pretty damn good, making herself seem like a terrible actress which I found to be quite hilarious, actually.
 

The kills in this movie are actually some of my favorites in the slasher genre, including one very minor character's who falls victim to the kidney-heist urban legend but with a decapitation twist. Definitely the best scene in the entire movie.

I found the "twist" to be extremely confusing and I had to watch the film quite a few times to actually understand who did what, why one did something, etc. which was actually very frustrating, but once you actually understand everything, this movie is quite fun.


This movie definitely wasn't the worst sequel I've seen, and it definitely wasn't the best slasher, but it's definitely one of my favorites that's worthy of a watch. I'd give it a 3.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment